Data privacy

Today’s EdTech inquiry presentation on data privacy was both informative and cautionary. As teachers, I believe it is necessary, and our responsibility as in loco parentis, to share this information with our future students. I recognize that the majority of students will continue to use the current popular Apps, but at least they will do so as informed individuals and hopefully they will make better decisions as to what they share with their friends.

This presentation also made me reflect on my own choices of social media and internet use. What kind of data trail am I leaving? I recently deleted my Instragram account and have been very tempted to delete my Facebook account, but for the latter, so many of my friends and peers use Facebook as a social platform. I can keep in touch with friends around the world. Our lives are so busy, that if I were to delete my Facebook account, would I lose touch with all my geographically distant friends? Or would I return to letter-writing? Would I invest more time into maintaining those friendships? Maybe I should try it. Return to my life pre-Facebook. I just dated myself there, didn’t I? Maybe I should try it and blog about it. The latter was sarcasm.